Navigating The Water: Your U. S. Coast Guard Licensed Charter Captain
Ahoy, sailors! Have you ever wondered what it takes to become a US Coast Guard-licensed captain, like the one who will be at the helm during your upcoming Virgin Islands boat charter with Seas the Day Charters USVI?
We’re diving into the details of the exciting journeys our experienced captains have embarked upon. Obtaining a US Coast Guard Captain’s license is not just a certification; it’s the bearer’s ticket to a life of adventure and the gateway to endless possibilities on the water. At our charter company, we pride ourselves on our captains who are not only highly qualified but also deeply passionate about the sea.
Level 1: The Captain’s Aspirations
A captain’s journey begins with a dream – a dream to navigate the waters, sail the seas and perhaps even captain their own ship. This aspiration is the very first step in the exciting adventure of obtaining a US Coast Guard Captain’s license.
Level 2: Setting Sail with OUPV (Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels)
To get started, our captains had to meet some basic requirements:
- Gain the Necessary Experience: Our captains began their nautical journey by accumulating at least 360 days of sea time, including 90 days within the past three years.
- Take a Captain’s Course: They enroll in a Coast Guard-approved captain’s course delving into the intricacies of navigation, safety, and seamanship.
- Mastering the Exam: After the coursework, they tackle the challenging Coast Guard exam, covering navigation rules, boat handling and more. Success at this stage rewards them with the Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels (OUPV) license, which allows them to safely carry up to six guests on their charter vessels.
Level 3: Navigating Higher Waters – Master’s Credentials
Our captains don’t stop there; they’re driven by a deep passion for the sea and the desire to provide you with the best possible boat charter experience. As they gain more experience, they often aim for higher levels of licensing:
- Master Near Coastal (25, 50, or 100 Tons): For captains who love venturing into open waters. Available in 25, 50 or 100-ton versions, it allows them to operate larger vessels and explore coastal areas.
- There is also the Master Inland (25, 50, or 100 Tons): Perfect for those who feel at home on rivers, lakes, and bays. This license is also offered in 25, 50, or 100-ton versions.
- Sail Endorsement: For the wind-loving captains among us, this endorsement can be added to any Master’s license. Your captain aboard Seas the Day Charters USVI vessels SY Leviathan, SY Sirena, SY Pisces, SY Argo, SY Mazu and SY Neptune have all received their Sail Endorsement.
In addition to achieving their US Coast Guard Guard Captain’s license, when our captains join our team they are thoroughly trained on each vessel they operate. Seas the Day Charters USVI captains also have a vast knowledge of the local US Virgin Islands waters. For private powerboat charter captains visiting the British Virgin Islands, your captain also has a credential and local knowledge to navigate the BVI waters as well.
The result? Well-rounded captains who can confidently and expertly lead you on your Virgin Islands boat charter adventure for your best day of vacation.
As you eagerly anticipate your upcoming boat charter adventure in the US Virgin Islands and British Virgin Islands, rest assured that your captain is well-prepared and experienced, holding a US Coast Guard Captain’s license to ensure your safety and enjoyment. These passionate mariners have mastered the seas and are now ready to share their love for the water with you. Get ready for an unforgettable voyage!
October 20, 2023